Since 2018, DAR EL MAQ has opened its doors to travelers from around the world, welcoming those in search of an authentic experience in Asilah. With each stay, our goal is to make your experience as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible. To do this, we have set up an ‘on-site welcome guide,’ ready to answer all your questions and guide you throughout your stay.
However, we understand that you may have questions even before arriving at DAR EL MAQ. That’s why we’ve created our own ‘Questions Souk’ – our local version of the famous ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ This page is a collection of the most frequently asked questions by our valued customers, both about Asilah and our accommodation. We have designed this page as a dynamic resource, intended to grow through your everyday questions and suggestions.
Our goal is to provide you with clear and precise answers, in order to prevent uncertainties and save you time upon your arrival. So, explore the questions below, and if you have any other inquiries, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you have an exceptional experience in Asilah.
Your Questions about Asilah and Dar el Maq:
Frequently Asked Questions
We would like to welcome everyone with pleasure, but we must comply with Moroccan law.
- Moroccans: 🇲🇦 For mixed groups, if there is no family relationship, they will need to provide proof of marriage.
- For other nationalities: 🇫🇷🇪🇸🏴🇨🇳🇵🇹🇺🇸🇲🇽🇳🇴🇷🇺🇸🇳🇩🇪🇨🇦… there are no restrictions.
Dar el Maq collaborates with a professional taxi service.
Upon your request, we can arrange your transfer from the airport/port to the house. The taxi can also take you to the beach or to nearby cities. Prices are communicated in advance to avoid any surprises.
Here are the prices for the most requested routes:
- Assilah Station – Dar el Maq = 60 MAD (one way)
- Airport – Dar el Maq = 200 MAD (one way)
- Tangier City Port – Dar el Maq = 250 MAD (one way)
- Tangier Med Port – Dar el Maq = 400 MAD (one way)
- Dar el Maq – Briech Beach = 150 MAD (round trip)
- Dar el Maq – Cuevas Beach = 200 MAD (round trip)
- Dar el Maq – Sidi Mugait Beach = 400 MAD (round trip)
- Dar el Maq – Larache = 200 MAD (one way)
- Dar el Maq – Tetouan = 400 MAD (one way)
- Dar el Maq – Chefchaouen = 600 MAD (one way)
The taxi can accommodate up to 6 people. Please contact us to book or to inquire about pricing for other specific destinations.
You can buy your Nespresso-compatible coffee capsules at “Marcafé”. It’s right here, on the street of the Banque Populaire.
PS: A “Marcafé” business card is attached to the coffee machine.
🚶10 minutes walk from the riad
You won’t find (or very few) French-style bakeries with buttery croissants and chocolate pastries (or pain au chocolat).
But to find local artisanal products such as flaky pancakes (msèmen), homemade bread, semolina pancakes (harcha), you can go to the city center, at the beginning of Avenue Hassan II, right here.
🚶10 minutes walk from the riad
To find extra fresh fish, you have two options:
- wait for the fishermen at the end of the day. They will come to display their daily catches in the port parking lot, right here
- 🚶5 minutes from the riad
- go to the end of Avenue Hassan II to find fish sellers present all day, over here
- 🚶15 minutes from the riad
If you want to cook them at home, tunas, sea spiders, bream, sardines, all the riches of the Atlantic will be at your disposal. You can ask the fishermen to prepare them in front of you so they are ready to be cooked.
You can find fruits, vegetables, and fresh mint all along Avenue Hassan II.
Street vendors are set up along this avenue. At the end of Avenue Hassan II, on the right, you will find the entrance to a covered market, over here.
🚶15/20 minutes from the riad
For expatriates who wish to have an aperitif, the sale of alcohol remains quite discreet in Morocco.
You can find wine served at the tables of some restaurants (see article on restaurants) or you can visit a small specialized grocery store, hidden right here. A discreet little grocery store with a light blue facade, next to the Banque Populaire.
🚶10 minutes from the riad
🍷🍸🍹🥂🍾🍺🍻🥃 in moderation 🥴
There is a garbage bin a few meters from the house, just before the large green door of the Raissouni palace.
Exit the small alley, then turn right along the city wall towards the large green door. The garbage bin is on your left, right here 🚮
🚶1 minute from the riad.